According to the latest data pulled from Expedia, Canadians are more adventurous than ever, crossing borders and opting for unconventional accommodations, like treehouses and yurts, as opposed to hotels and all-inclusives.
While the big cities like Toronto, Las Vegas, and London remain top destinations, most of the double-digit tourism growth is stemming from Europe and Asia.
The following 10 places have seen visitation numbers from Canadians double:
- Germany: Frankfurt
- Portugal: Porto, Ponta Delgada, and Lisbon
- Vietnam: Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi
- Bahamas: Nassau
- Croatia: Zagreb and Split
- Spain: Malaga and the Canary Islands
- Australia: Melbourne
- Peru: Cusco
- Thailand: Phuket
Not another hotel
When it comes to where Canadians lay their heads down after a long day of adventure, hotels are out, and alternative lodging is in!
Here are some of the fastest-growing accommodation types for 2018:
- Tentalows (cross between a tent and a bungalow) – up more than 95 percent year-over-year
- Agritourism properties – up more than 35 percent year-over-year
- Houseboats – up more than 35 percent year-over-year
- Tree houses – up more than 30 percent year-over-year
- Castles – up almost 30 percent year-over-year
- Chalets – up almost 25 percent year-over-year
Canadians are on the move
These are the fastest-growing activity categories for Canadians over the past year:
- Fastest-growing category: Ski offerings and hitting the slopes in the Canadians Rockies. The spots such as Whistler, Banff and Lake Louise lead the pack when it comes to the top trending places to rent equipment and catch some fresh powder.
- Runner-up: Theme parks. Exploring popular theme parks such as Disney and Universal Studios both reigned top spots for Canadian travellers.
- Third place: Events and show experiences round out the top categories, as travellers look to experience Broadway plays in New York, or Cirque shows in Las Vegas.
What about last-minute trips?
Not all travel needs to be planned months in advance, as sometimes there is an urge for a quick vacation fix. These cities rose to the top for Canadian travellers booking 0-6 days out:
- New York
- Los Angeles
- Las Vegas
Most popular cities for vacation rentals
Vacation rentals are a great option for travelling in larger groups, whether that's with family or friends. These cities ranked the highest for Canadians when booking vacation rentals: