According to a new study by the consultancy firm PSB, food and water safety is a very important factor in one’s decision to travel to a foreign destination.
Of the 82 per cent of travellers surveyed, food and water is even more important than transportation and the attractions offered in a destination.
After a series of unfortunate incidents in 2019 in the Dominican Republic, hotel owners and managers representing more than 50 properties in Punta Cana formed, at the end of last year, the Inverotel consortium.
The members of the consortium have all signed a commitment called Punta Cana Promise (the Promise of Punta Cana) aimed at restoring travellers' confidence.
In order to relieve consumers' concerns about food and water safety, the members of the consortium have renewed their commitments in 2020, broken down into eight points:
- Our properties are autonomous and offer 24-hour security and medical assistance.
- Our food and beverage offers come only from reputable and trusted partners. They are all carefully checked and inspected before being served on our properties in accordance with global food safety management standards.
- Our employees all undergo rigorous background checks, screening and training.
- Our high staff-to-client ratios ensure that each of them receives the attention, service and security they expect and deserve.
- Our properties not only comply with, but also exceed tourist and hospitality regulations and directives.
- Our affiliated activities and excursions are provided exclusively by reputable partners who are all licensed and insured.
- Our properties are all united in the commitment to observe and respect the promise of Punta Cana.
- Our hotels will provide security information and telephone numbers to all customers upon check-in.
“As a proud member of the Punta Cana hotel community, I can confidently say that food and water safety and the overall safety of all travellers are things that the tourism industry in the Dominican Republic has been taking seriously for decades, "said Encarna Piñero, president of Inverotel.
Piñero said that the Inverotel consortium ensures the highest standards of service and safety for visitors.
“For the first time in the history of the Dominican Republic, the best hotels and resorts in Punta Cana have come together to engage travellers and exceed safety and security standards. As part of the Promise, each of our hotel brands is committed to ensuring that the highest levels of security and service are not only achieved, but exceeded," he said.
Such commitments are not a new concept, Piñero said. "For years, our hotels have followed the security policies and guidelines described," he said.
What is new, he said, is the creation of a comprehensive and easily accessible resource.
Useful for agents too
Although the Promise is primarily geared towards travellers, travel agents can also benefit in knowing more about it, said Piñero.
The eight commitments of the Promise "should serve as key information for travel agents who plan their clients' visits to the island," he said.
“The promise is our continued commitment to travellers, travel agents, tour operators and everyone who visits the island so that they will receive the highest levels of service and security. Punta Cana has been home to my family and our properties for decades. We are committed to taking the necessary steps to reassure travellers that the island will remain safe in 2020 and beyond,” he said.
While Piñero is confident that the Promise will help relieve international concern that arose from the incidents of 2019, he recognizes that questions and concerns may still loom.
But according to him, the best way to erase them permanently is this: “I encourage everyone to visit the Dominican Republic to experience the Promise firsthand! "
The Inverotel consortium includes operators of brands such as RIU, Bahia Principe, AMResorts, Melia, Grand Palladium, Iberostar, Paradisus, Ocean by H10, Punta Cana Resort & Club, Majestic, Princess, Catalonia, Excellence, Grand Sirenis, Whala! and Playa.
For more info, visit www.puntacanapromise.com.
Don't miss a single travel story: subscribe to PAX today!