Calgary-area travel agents were treated to an evening of supplier presentations, a trade show and some Mediterranean-inspired cuisine, as Goway Travel brought its tenth annual Africa Roadshow to the Westin Calgary Airport on Sept. 19.
More than 100 travel agents were treated to a crash course in African geography as 24 suppliers from 13 countries highlighted the unique selling points of their products and destinations. Calgary was the final stop of Goway's Africa Roadshow after visiting Edmonton and Toronto earlier this week.
Moira Smith, general manager, Africa and Middle East had nothing but praise for Alberta agents.
“We have found both Edmonton and Calgary to be phenomenal supporters of Goway," Smith said. "They really make the most of any learning opportunity and today we brought our partners here to train and educate them.”
Representatives from the countries of South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Malawi, Zambia, Botswana, Rwanda, Kenya, Tanzania, Morocco, Jordan, Dubai, and Egypt were on hand to outline what travellers can experience.
Here's a quick overview of what Goway's Africa partners have in store for 2020:
- Dubai is a world class destination for all ages including family-friendly theme park fun, golf, and sports events. The city is preparing for an influx of travellers next year as the World Expo 2020 will be happening from October 20th, 2020 – April 21st, 2021.
- Arabian Adventure was eager to share unique out-of-the-box experiences including camel polo and an overnight camp in the Dubai Desert Conservation Reserve.
- Morocco, the gateway to Africa, is perfect for exotic adventures, food and culture, colourful landscapes, and Imperial architecture. Guests can visits Fez, where travellers can find the oldest and largest market in the world.
- Botswana is a safe destination to visit with a stable government. Natural Selection offers a unique collection of family-owned lodges in prime locations including access to the little-known zebra migration in Botswana.
- Having completed an economic reform in 2017, Egypt is ready for a boom in tourism with new infrastructure in place including a new airport, new roads and new hotels.
- Malawi and Zambia offer great value for money because of low tourism density, where people visit its mountains, crystal blue lakes and enjoy the warm hospitality of the people.
- Rovos Rail offers old-world rail travel on a luxurious train through South Africa with stops in all the major tourist sites.
- KwaZulu-Natal is where travellers can go for beach and diving experiences and enjoy the year-round subtropical climate alongside the excitement of Zulu culture.
- Jordan is welcoming a boom in luxe properties and is an ideal destination for religious and history travellers and adventure seekers.
- Rwanda is one of three countries where you can see mountain gorillas. People visit for the stunning scenery and warm and friendly people.
- Experience adventurous excursions with Wild Horizons including bungee jumping, zip-lining and white water rafting at the bottom of Victoria Falls. Travellers can also enjoy calmer river activities above the falls and meet with rehabilitated elephants.
“One of the things we really believe in is the agent community and the support we get from them is incredibly important so we like to make it as easy as possible for them," Smith said. "Education is an incredibly important part of what we like to do with them. While we are the experts, we don’t expect them to know everything so this is where our expertise comes in."
Don't miss a single travel story: subscribe to PAX today!