Intrepid Travel has launched a new line of tours consisting of more than 80 trips exclusively designed for 18 to 29-year-old travellers, with a focus on affordability, sustainability and immersive activities.
With tours priced from $435 CAD per person and up, the company will also be offering $99 deposits on all of its 18 to 29s trips, making sustainable and ethical travel more accessible to a younger demographic while providing this socially-conscious generation with a stress-free alternative to backpacking and big bus tours. Highlights from the brand new tours include a seven-day camping trip in Iceland, a nine-day tour in Egypt that includes a cruise along the Nile River and an eight-day trekking trip to Machu Picchu in Peru.
“Sustainable travel doesn’t have to be expensive,” said James Thornton, CEO of Intrepid Travel. “This age group will increasingly influence travel trends. Their buying decisions can help to reduce demand for unethical activities like visiting orphanages or riding elephants.”
READ MORE: Intrepid achieves B Corp status
Millennials expect travel companies to offer socially-conscious travel options.
- 86% of 18- to 29-year-olds consider it important when booking a trip for a company to offer sustainable travel options.
- 90% of 18- to 29-year-olds consider a travel company's commitment to ethical travel important when booking a trip.
- 18- to 29-year-olds are the most likely demographic to think that travel companies have a greater responsibility to provide sustainable experiences.
Millennials care about how they spend their money.
- The two things 18- to 29-year-olds consider the most important when booking travel are affordability (52%) and knowing their travel dollars are supporting local communities (51%).
- 86% of 18- to 29-year-olds are willing to spend more on their travel if it meant the experiences included were completely ethical.
- The main reason why 18- to 29-year-olds would book a holiday with the same company they've already travelled with is that they felt like their dollars were put towards a truly local and immersive experience.
Millennials are more socially-conscious than older generations.
- 58% of 18- to 29-year-olds would spend more on their travel if they knew their money was going into the local communities they're visiting, compared to just 32% of travellers aged 51+.
- 77% of 18- to 29-year-olds say that sustainability impacts their decision to travel, compared to 48% of travelers aged 51+.
- 43% of 18- to 29-year-olds believe it is important that a company focuses on environmental and social causes they care about, compared to 32% of travelers between the ages of 41 and 50, and 17% of travelers aged 51+.
“In an increasingly connected world, younger generations are more aware than ever of environmental and societal issues around the globe, and how their decisions impact those issues,” said Darshika Jones, director of North America, Intrepid Travel. “Our new 18 to 29s trip range was designed for these young, informed, and adventurous customers who are eager to discover new places and cultures, make a difference in the world, and connect with people their own age who share the same values.”
A carbon-neutral company
Intrepid Travel has been a carbon-neutral company since 2010, and was the first global tour operator to ban elephant rides. The company has also taken a leadership position on child protection by removing orphanage visits from its itineraries. Every Intrepid tour supports local communities by using local transportation, employing a local tour leader, and staying and eating at locally-owned businesses.
In August 2018, the company became the world’s largest travel B Corporation, a certification that represents Intrepid’s commitment to using its business to create a positive impact for both people and the planet.
In line with Intrepid’s pledge to double donations to projects that help marginalized youth around the world, the company has partnered with Friends-International, a leading social enterprise saving lives and building futures for young people. The company will make a donation to Friends-International for every 18 to 29s trip booked.